Welcome to the Higher area of Levenmouth Academy's Physics page
- Units of Work Covered:
- Our Dynamic Universe – Examples of areas covered; Motion, Energy and The Universe.
- Particles and Waves – Examples of areas covered; Sub atomic particles, Refraction, Diffraction, Spectra and Nuclear Reactions.
- Electricity – Examples of areas covered; Electrical Circuits, Semi-conductors and Capacitors.
- Researching Physics – Pupils focus on a particular area of Physics and utilise their research and practical skills to produce a scientific report that is marked externally by the SQA.
- Units 1, 2 and 3 have an end of unit assessment and grading test.
- The Higher Physics Course develops learners’ curiosity, interest and enthusiasm for Physics in a range of contexts. Practical activities are performed throughout the course. Real life topics are discussed and explored to keep the content current and in context with everyday life.
- Attendance is essential and any work missed through absence will need to be caught up on in your own time.
- All deadlines are final (unless there are exceptional circumstances)
- Pro-active approach required in terms of self-study and revision at home.
- A positive, hardworking ethos is required to succeed.
Please include the school learner pathway (e.g. successful completion of Higher > AH), potential study options at college/university and possible career options.
- Successful completion of Higher with an A or B grade will lead to an opportunity to progress to Advanced Higher. A pass at Higher Maths is also desirable.
- PT will consider entry to Advance Higher on a case by case basis if learners do not meet entry criteria
- Required for a wide range of Further Learning courses and Apprenticeships.
- Range of career opportunities are vast. Examples include Medicine, Nuclear Energy, Renewable Energy, Engineering, Banking, Space Exploration and Teaching.
Below are a number of homework exercises for pupils to learn from at home. The topic is Our Dynamic Universe.
- Exercise 07 Wave Particle Duality
- Exercise 08 Interference and Diffraction
- Exercise 09 Refraction
- Exercise 10 Spectra
- Exercise 11 Standard Model and Movement of Charged Particles
- Exercise 12 Nuclear Radiation
- Exercise 13 AC Current Voltage Power and Resistance
- Exercise 14 Emf and Internal Resistance docx
- Exercise 15 Capacitance
- Exercise 16 Electrons at Work
- ODU Homework 1
- ODU Homework 2
- ODU Homework 3
- ODU Homework 4
- ODU Homework 5
- ODU Homework 6