Physics - Advanced Higher
Welcome to the Advanced Higher area of our Physics website.
- Units of Work Covered:
- Rotational Motion and Astrophysics –Areas covered; Kinematic Relationships, Angular Motion, Rotational Dynamics, Gravitation, General Relativity, Stellar Physics.
- Quanta and Waves – Areas covered; Quantum theory, Particles from space, Simple Harmonic Motion, Waves, Interference and Polarisation.
- Electromagnetism – Areas covered; Fields, Circuits and Electromagnetic Radiation.
- Investigating Physics – Pupils focus on a particular topic of interest to themselves in Physics and utilise their research and practical skills to produce a scientific report comprising of several experiments on their chosen topic and its aim. This investigation is then marked externally by the SQA.
- Units 1, 2 and 3 have an end of unit assessment and grading test.
- Attendance is essential and any work missed through absence will need to be caught up on in your own time.
- All deadlines are final (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
- Pro-active approach required in terms of self-study and revision at home.
- A positive, hardworking ethos is required to succeed.
- Successful completion of the Advanced Higher course will set learners in a good position for moving on to Higher education in any Physics based course.
- Range of further education opportunities such as: Engineering, Architecture, Physics, Natural Sciences, Forensics, Nuclear Medicine, Astronomy, Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics, Theoretical Physics and many more.
- The course will further develop learners independence, resilience, ability to problem solve and prepare them for the rigours of University life as well as the world of work.