Home Economics - Nat 5 Fashion & Textiles Technology
This course provides candidates with the opportunity to develop detailed knowledge, understanding and skills related to textile technologies, including the characteristics and properties of a range of textiles and their uses, and to apply this knowledge in practical situations. Candidates will explore current fashion trends and investigate a range of factors affecting the fashion/textile choices of consumers. They will have the opportunity to develop and apply this knowledge and understanding by carrying out the fashion/textile item development process to develop solutions for detailed fashion/textile items that meet the needs of given briefs.
Candidates will have opportunities to present and justify their solutions for detailed fashion/textile items, with a focus on factors that affect their choice of textiles, construction techniques to be used, and features of the fashion/textile item, in relation to the given brief.
Candidates will have the opportunity to make detailed fashion/textile items, to an appropriate standard of quality, using a paper pattern and a range of textile construction techniques, and to demonstrate the selection, setting up, adjustment and use of equipment and tools safely and correctly.
The following provides a broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding developed in the course:
- detailed understanding of textile characteristics, properties and technologies
- applying a detailed range of textile construction techniques
- explaining factors that affect fashion/textile choices
- explaining fashion/textile trends
- planning and making detailed fashion/textile items to an appropriate standard of quality
- demonstrating appropriate selection, set up, adjusting and use of tools and equipment, safely and correctly
- detailed evaluation of fashion/textile items
- detailed investigation and presentation skills
- Item Development
- Fashion Choices
- Textile Technology
Question Paper in main diet of exams
= 30 marks = 30% Final Course Award
Assignment & Practical Activity
Comprises of two stages
- 1) Assignment – 50 marks
- 2) Implementing (Practical Activity) = 50 marks
= 100 marks = 70% Final Course Award
Those attempting Fashion & Textile Technology for the first time should discuss with Miss Wishart, PT Home Economics.