Rationale: Levenmouth Academy Extended Support Department works fully within the Curriculum for Excellence.
We meet the pupils’ entitlement to a Senior Phase which provides opportunity to study for qualifications by presenting all of our Senior Phase pupils for SQA National 1 and 2 Units, as well as Personal Achievement Awards.
An important focus for the Broad General Education and Senior Phase is the development of Adaptive Skills. These are skills essential for leading a safe, meaningful and productive a life as possible following school.
The Adaptive Skills are –
- Self-care (Toileting, Periods, Hygiene, Feeding, Dressing)
- Communication skills (Receptive, Timetable, Expressive)
- Self-direction (Making choices, Transitions, Independence, Time, Change/new experiences/Work experiences)
- Social skills (Experiences – different emotions, Feeling better, Interactions)
- Leisure skills (Toys, Attention, Turn Taking, Waiting, Sport/game skills)
- Living skills (Food prep, Gardening, Tidying up, Motor Skills, PE skills)
- Functional (pre)academics (Matching, Sorting, Labelling, Hand function/writing, Counting, Adding, Subtracting)
- Community Use (Sharing space, Walking, Road Safety, Parks, Public Transport, Shops, Money, Cafes/restaurants)
- Health & Safety (Awareness of surroundings, Indication of being hurt or unwell, Medicine, Staying with adults, Getting help, Strangers, Private spaces, Lost, Sexual education/puberty).
Each young person is an individual and these skills will apply uniquely.